Inside Coinbase’s Leadership Team
Coinbase has been on a massive hiring spree since raising $100 million and hiring Asiff Hirji as President & Chief Operating Officer in December 2017. 12 new people have joined Coinbase’s leadership team in 2018 so far and most of Brian Armstrong’s direct reports are new faces relative to last year. Check out Coinbase’s updated org chart here – it’s free!
Founded in June of 2012, Coinbase is a digital currency wallet and platform where merchants and consumers can transact with new digital currencies like bitcoin, ethereum, and litecoin. Asiff Hirji was hired as President & Chief Operating Officer just three months after raising $100 million at a $1.5 billion valuation led by IVP. Hirji was previously with Andreesen Horowitz, a leading VC fund, which is also an investor in Coinbase.
It is not unusual for start-ups to hire new talent after raising large funding rounds but the quantity and seniority of people in this case is noteworthy. Here is an overview of Coinbase’s executive hires in 2018:
- Jonathan Kellner, MD Institutional Coverage Group (October 2018)
- Brian Brooks, Chief Legal Officer (September 2018)
- Michael Li, VP Data (September 2018)
- Tim Wagner, VP Engineering (July 2018)
- Jeff Horowitz, Chief Compliance Officer (July 2018)
- Alesia Haas, CFO (April 2018)
- Rachael Horwitz, VP Communications (April 2018)
- Tariq Meyers, Head of Diversity & Inclusion (April 2018)
- Balaji Srinivasan, CTO (April 2018)
- Emilie Choi, VP Corporate & Business Development (March 2018)
- Eric Scro, VP Finance (March 2018)
- Tina Bhatnagar, VP Operations & Technology (January 2018)
The new hires have also led to some early executives leaving the company. Adam White, one of U.S.-based crypto exchange Coinbase's most senior executives and fifth-ever employee, left the company in October. It was reportedly said in a statement that Jonathan Kellner would be taking on some aspects of White's role at the company.
Most recently, Jonathan Kellner joined Coinbase as managing director for its institutional coverage group. Kellner will help bring Coinbase’s suite of institutional crypto trading products to professional investors. He most recently served as chief executive of institutional brokerage firm Instinet. We doubt that this is Coinbase's last hire in 2018. Stay tuned!