What is Bilt?
Bilt Rewards is the first-ever rewards program that allows renters to earn points on rent and build a path towards homeownership. With an alliance of the nation’s largest real estate owners, Bilt Rewards enables renters in more than two million units across the country to earn points just by paying rent.
Bilt Rewards boasts one of the highest value rewards programs on the market today, including one-to-one point transfers for travel across over 100 major airlines and hotel partners; fitness classes at the country’s top boutique studios; limited-edition and exclusive collections of art and home decor through the Bilt Collection, and the ability to use points for rent credits or towards a future downpayment.
Bilt has also partnered with Mastercard to create the Bilt Mastercard - the first and only credit card that can be used to pay rent with zero fees.
What’s the role?
As the Head of Legal and Compliance at Bilt, you will build a world-class legal function from the ground up. As the first Head of Legal, your expertise and creativity will shape all facets of our innovative, mission-driven business including product offerings, commercialization, financing, corporate governance, regulatory matters, government affairs and compliance as the Bilt business scales.
In this role you will:
- Be the primary internal company counsel for our rapidly growing organization, reporting directly to our Head of Capital.
- Manage outside corporate counsel and counsel for related business areas; we have several legal partners that support us in various capacities. You will be in charge of managing and directing them.
- Conduct or coordinate research into legal questions and issues that are brought up by the business as we seek to solve problems in new ways.
- Draft, negotiate and approve contracts across a wide array of disciplines (partnership agreements, vendor contracts, nondisclosure agreements, employee agreements, etc.).
- Work comfortably in a variety of legal disciplines, including insurance, real estate, privacy, intellectual property, e-commerce, employment and corporate law.
- Assist with the structuring and closing of both debt and equity financings.
- Identify and consult on legal risks in connection with our expansion plans and development of new products.
- Serve as lead counsel on strategic deals, resolving issues that arise in existing commercial relationships, and handling pre-litigation legal disputes and inquiries.
- Assist with other technology issues involving e-commerce, including online and mobile sales, marketing, and customer self-service tools; social media; big data; and privacy/data security.
- Develop internal processes for managing current compliance obligations as well as monitor any updates in relevant rules and regulations.
In terms of qualifications, we’re seeking:
- 5+ years’ experience practicing law, including experience at a law firm.
- 3+ years’ experience negotiating contracts with software vendors, distribution partners, and other service providers, and advising on legal issues relating to e-commerce and privacy.
- Experience working at a relatively early-stage tech company on a small legal team, as a primary or sole contributor, is a major plus.
- A strong ability to multitask, balancing several disparate tasks and projects at a given time.
- Some knowledge of the venture financing process.
- Experience overseeing and directing legal partners, contractors, external counsel, etc.
- JD and state license to practice law.
Bilt Rewards is a Kairos company. For more information, visit www.kairoshq.com