Course Hero is scaling! We are seeking a highly motivated attorney to join our Legal team as Counsel for Product and Privacy, reporting directly to the General Counsel. This role focuses on advising our product, engineering, and other teams on a variety of issues, including copyright, DMCA, privacy, data security, and compliance matters.
An adaptable individual who enjoys variety, collaborative conversations proposing concrete business solutions, synthesizing information from various teams, and building out infrastructure will thrive in our Legal team. We’re looking for someone with a business partner mindset and strong problem-solving skills, who can manage multiple, high-priority projects in a fast-paced environment. If you are looking for the opportunity to make a significant impact, and have a passion for copyright, technology, privacy, and data protection, this role provides a great opportunity to apply your legal skills and experience to help take your career and Course Hero to the next level.
The ideal candidate will in the past have had success:
- Managing multiple projects/deals and driving them to completion autonomously within required timeframes
- Adopting a builder’s mindset of figuring stuff out even without prior (or direct) experience
- Developing trusted partnerships within your team and with key stakeholders
- Identifying use cases that could benefit from repeatable processes and proposing what those processes could look like (and how they could be adopted)
- Approaching situations and people with curiosity and willingness to learn, commit, and contribute to solving for immediate as well as long-term solutions
Here are some ways you’ll make an impact:
- Partner with product and engineering teams to provide guidance on legal issues related to product design, development, and operations, with specific attention to copyright, privacy, and data protection
- Build and develop legal processes and documentation to support new product or other business initiatives
- Design, improve, and implement our global copyright, privacy and data protection compliance programs and processes, as well as educating our teams about relevant copyright, privacy and data protection laws
- Draft and maintain privacy and data protection policies, notices or other documentation, as well as managing privacy and data protection terms in standard contractual arrangements and supporting negotiations with vendors
- Work closely with the product, engineering, security and IT teams to support our security initiatives, frameworks, and requirements
- Monitor and advise on regulatory and industry developments, including trends in copyright, privacy and security laws, regulatory mentorship, enforcement actions, and public policy
- Provide cross-functional leaders with pragmatic and strategic advice to minimize legal risks while advancing business goals and initiatives
- Partner with key stakeholders across the organization to build positive relationships across levels
- Identify opportunities to centralize knowledge and build scalable processes to increase visibility and expedite communication/alignment/execution
Are you our Product Counsel?
- JD from an accredited law school and an active California bar membership
- 5+ years of related legal experience, with a focus on copyright and/or product counseling, privacy, preferably advising companies in the edtech sector
- Experience working at a technology company or working with technology clients strongly preferred
- Solid understanding of DMCA and copyright laws preferred
- Knowledge of privacy and data protection laws (including CCPA and GDPR) required
- Comfortable with technology and technical terminology; experience working directly with product development and engineering teams preferred
- Great teammate with strong eye for business and attention to detail, and who recognizes that this role is about doing as well as crafting a scalable foundation
- Excellent drafting skills and ability to adapt legal requirements in balanced, creative, and pragmatic ways, consistent with company objectives, policies, and processes
- Excellent negotiator, able to effectively navigate issues externally and internally, with proven track record to influence
- Well-organized with the ability to set and successfully manage competing priorities, while delivering quality work
- Flexibility and willingness to work on a broad variety of projects, including outside your area of expertise or responsibilities
- Highly motivated self-starter, who excels in a fast-paced, time pressured and demanding environment
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Full medical coverage (medical, dental, vision)
- 401(k) program with match
- Remote First Flexibility
- Education Reimbursement
- Quarterly team events and outings (Sporting Events, Escape Rooms, Go-Kart Racing, Karaoke, Bowling and much more)
- Commuter benefits, shuttle service from Redwood City, and cell-phone allowance
- Local move benefit to move within 10 miles of our office
- 8 hours per quarter paid time for volunteering for a cause of your choice
- Front row seat to Master Educator lectures – check out our Lecture Series videos
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion within our company. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or ability status. We will ensure that individuals who are differently abled are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment as provided to other applicants or employees. Please contact us to request accommodation.
About Us:Course Hero is on a mission to help students graduate confident and prepared. The online learning platform offers over 60 million course-specific study resources created by and for students and educators, as well as 24/7 tutor help. More than 65,000 verified college educators use Course Hero to collaborate with other faculty and share resources to hone new strategies for instruction. Everyday, students, educators and tutors help more than 20 million students make every study hour count.
We have an awesome team and a truly engaging culture. We are customer-focused, collaborative, responsible, gritty, and we love to learn. Our bold mission is to help students graduate confident and prepared!
Join us on our mission!