Course Hero is scaling! We are looking for an entrepreneurial software engineer to take ownership of Course Hero’s consumer-facing Site Search. You will be part of the Discovery pod and will be responsible for shipping compelling and engaging search and recommendations experiences that will help millions of students discover relevant, course-specific content that empowers them to graduate confident and prepared.
We expect you to thrive in a fast-paced, high-growth environment, and adapt to constantly evolving business needs. You can view these videos to learn more about our engineering culture, and our company mission.
Here are some ways you will make an impact:
- Design, implement, test, and maintain Course Hero’s Search Platform components in the context of a multi-tier, scalable, high-volume, and reliable distributed systems that perform 24x7.
- Leverage Elasticsearch/Solr infrastructure and search/ML techniques to solve challenging problems in maintaining the infrastructure.
- Implement, extend, and modularize our federated search system architecture to meet 10x growth in search volume and diverse search intents from students, educators, and tutors.
Are you our next Senior Software Engineer for Search?
- 5+ years experience developing search algorithms and applications using Elasticsearch, Solr, or Lucene.
- Proven understanding of object-oriented and functional programming
- Hands-on experience with developing and maintaining distributed systems
- Modern engineering languages (Python, Go), microservices SOA architecture
- Knowledge of standard processes related to security, performance, scalability and disaster recovery.
- Comfortable using AWS services such as, K8, ECS, SWF, SQS, OpenSearch
- MS degree in Computer Science, a similar technical field of study, or have equivalent practical experience
- Ability to quickly understand technical and business requirements and be able to translate into technical design and implementation
- Experience with data pipelining using Spark or Athena
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, and AWS Ecosystem
- Passionate about education
Benefits & Perks!
- Competitive salary, annual bonus, and RSUs
- Medical coverage, including full dental and vision
- Life and disability benefits
- 401(k) program (US) / retirement savings plan (Canada) with company match
- One month paid sabbatical after 5 years at the company
- Education reimbursement
- Professional development workshops & industry conferences
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible work schedule
- Social responsibility program (volunteer time off and donation matching)
- Annual wellness stipend
- Monthly tech stipend
- Annual family planning stipend
- Monthly snack boxes delivered to your door
- Cell phone allowance
We are a virtual-first company and have employees dispersed throughout the United States and Canada. We have a market-based pay structure that varies by location. The base pay for this position is dependent on multiple factors, including candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed below. You may also be eligible to participate in our bonus program and may be offered an equity award, benefits, and other types of compensation.
This role is eligible for hire in the San Francisco Bay Area (US), Vancouver (Canada), and Toronto (Canada).
In accordance with California law, the base salary for this role if filled within California is $132,000 - $178,000.
For positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. Other locations: IL, MA, NJ.
Research shows that candidates from underrepresented backgrounds often don't apply for roles if they don't meet all the criteria. We strongly encourage you to apply if you're interested: we'd love to learn how you can amplify our team with your unique experience!
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion within our company. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or ability status. We will ensure that individuals who are differently abled are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment as provided to other applicants or employees. Please contact us to request accommodation.
About Course Hero:
Course Hero is on a mission to help students graduate, confident and prepared. The online learning platform offers over 60 million course-specific study resources created by and for students and educators, as well as 24/7 tutor help. More than 65,000 verified college educators use Course Hero to collaborate with other faculty and share resources to hone new strategies for instruction. Everyday, students, educators and tutors help more than 20 million students make every study hour count.
We have an awesome team and a truly engaging culture. We are customer-focused, collaborative, responsible, gritty, and we love to learn. Our bold mission is to help students graduate confident and prepared!
Join us on our mission!