Course Hero is scaling! We are looking for an entrepreneurial software engineer to take ownership of Course Hero’s consumer-facing Site Search. You will be part of the Discovery pod and will be responsible for shipping compelling and engaging search and recommendations experiences that will help millions of students discover relevant, course-specific content that empowers them to graduate confident and prepared.
We expect you to thrive in a fast-paced, high-growth environment, and adapt to constantly evolving business needs. You can view these videos to learn more about our engineering culture, and our company mission.
Here are some ways you’ll make an impact:
- Design, implement, test, and maintain Course Hero’s Search Platform components in the context of a multi-tier, scalable, high-volume, and reliable distributed systems that perform 24x7
- Leverage Elasticsearch/Solr infrastructure and search/ML techniques to solve challenging problems in relevance ranking and semantic search
- Implement, extend, and modularize our federated search system architecture to meet 10x growth in search volume and diverse search intents from students, educators, and tutors
- Collaborate with ML, UX, and product to ideate and execute on our exciting content discovery roadmap
Are you our next senior software engineer for search?
- 3+ years experience developing search algorithms and applications using Elasticsearch, Solr, or Lucene
- Solid understanding of object-oriented and functional programming
- Hands-on experience with developing and maintaining distributed systems
- Modern engineering languages (Python, Go), microservices SOA architecture
- MS degree in Computer Science, a similar technical field of study, or have equivalent practical experience
- Ability to quickly understand technical and business requirements and be able to translate into technical design and implementation
- Experience with text processing, NLP, and data pipelining using Spark or Athena
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, and AWS Ecosystem
- Passionate about education
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Full medical coverage (medical, dental, vision)
- 401(k) program with match
- Education Reimbursement
- Quarterly team events and outings (Sporting Events, Escape Rooms, Go-Kart Racing, Karaoke, Bowling and much more)
- Free lunches twice a week, on-site cafe discount, plus an endless snack and drink supply
- Onsite gym – Pacific Shores Center – Classes – Pool – Spa – Rock Wall - Massages
- Commuter benefits, shuttle service from Redwood City, and cell-phone allowance
- 10K Local Move Program to move within 10 miles of our office
- 16 weeks of paid leave for maternity or paternity
- 8 hours per quarter paid time for volunteering for a cause of your choice
- Front row seat to Master Educator lectures – check out ourLecture Series videos
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion within our company. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or ability status. We will ensure that individuals who are differently abled are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment as provided to other applicants or employees. Please contact us to request accommodation.
About Us:Course Hero is on a mission to help students graduate confident and prepared. The online learning platform offers over 60 million course-specific study resources created by and for students and educators, as well as 24/7 tutor help. More than 65,000 verified college educators use Course Hero to collaborate with other faculty and share resources to hone new strategies for instruction. Everyday, students, educators and tutors help more than 20 million students make every study hour count.
We have an awesome team and a truly engaging culture. We are customer-focused, collaborative, responsible, gritty, and we love to learn. Our bold mission is to help students graduate confident and prepared!
Join us on our mission!