dbt Labs is a remote-first company with a globally distributed team. This role is open to folks based anywhere in the United States.
dbt Labs is an equal opportunity employer. We're committed to building an inclusive team that welcomes a diversity of perspectives, people, and backgrounds regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, citizenship, veteran status, or any other protected status. We feel strongly that whether or not your experience exactly fits the job description, your passion and skills will stand out and set you apart even if your career has taken some twists and turns. If you are on the fence about whether you meet our requirements, we encourage you to apply anyway! Please reach out to us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance or accommodation due to disability.
dbt Labs was founded in 2016 to empower analysts to create and disseminate organizational knowledge. Since then, we’ve grown to become one of the most respected brands in the analytics industry. Our product, dbt, is used by thousands of companies.
dbt users have described themselves as data librarians: they help their teams find the data that they need, where and when they need it.
This role will serve as the librarian to the librarians. You’ll ensure that content produced across dbt Labs (event replays, podcast episodes, training tutorials and more) is published on time with a high level of quality, and is easily accessible to the dbt Community via organic search.
This is a project management, editing and SEO role rather than long-form or technical writing—you’ll own the content calendar, set content formats, and make sure that the team is hitting deadlines, but won’t be responsible for writing individual pieces from scratch.
In the future, this role could expand to leading all organic acquisition efforts or transition to management of dbt Labs’ web properties more generally.
Who we are
At dbt Labs, we have developed strong opinions on how companies should practice analytics.
Specifically, we believe that:
-> Code, not graphical user interfaces, is the best abstraction to express complex analytic logic -> Data analysts should adopt similar practices and tools to software developers -> Critical analytics infrastructure should be controlled by its users as open-source software -> Analytic code itself — not just analytics tools — will increasingly be open source
It turns out that a lot of other people believe this too! Over the course of the past several years we've built a community of 9,000+ people and 3,000 companies who are using our ideas, products, and workflows to conduct analytics, including Lyft, Monzo, GitLab, Snowflake, the ACLU, Amazon, JetBlue, and RentTheRunway. Our product, dbt (https://www.getdbt.com/), has come to be synonymous with the practice of analytics engineering, defining an entire industry.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Identify content topics that are in demand in the dbt Community, and prioritize those topics on the content calendar based on organic traffic potential
- Coordinate with data practitioners throughout dbt Labs (on the Community, Professional Services, Training & Data teams) to develop written + video tutorial content around those topics
- Develop content formats (post styles or page types) that suit those raw materials, and collaborate with design & frontend engineering to implement them in a CMS
- Edit the work of dbt Labs contributors, in-house and freelance writers
- Publish completed work, and promote content to make sure it’s visible to the community
You are a good fit if you:
- Have a completion mindset—“URL or it didn’t happen!”
- Are enthusiastic about the structure of writing, and using clear structure to ensure that writers can be successful
- Have a deep understanding of SEO principles, and a track record of producing pages that rank highly for their target keywords (either in a writing, editing, coordinating or manager role)
- Have previously formed a long-lasting (1+ year) writer <> editor relationship, as either a writer or an editor
- Are comfortable being accountable for organic traffic goals
- Are proficient in at least one web-based CMS (Wordpress, Netlify CMS, etc), Google Sheets, and a project management tool like Asana
You'll have an edge if:
- Have experience producing content for data practitioners
- Have an understanding of dbt and where it fits in the Modern Data Stack
- Are an active member of an online community
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary: $125,000-$145,000
- Equity stake
- Benefits: Unlimited vacation, 401k w/ 3% guaranteed contribution, excellent healthcare, and paid parental leave
What to expect in the hiring process:
- A phone call with a member of our recruiting team
- An introductory phone call with our Head of Acquisition
- After that, we’ll ask you to complete a project that will take about 1-2 hours.
- Panel interviews with marketing & community team stakeholders
- Final round interview with our CEO