We're the makers of dbt (www.getdbt.com) and we’re on a mission to empower analysts to create and disseminate organizational knowledge.
Fishtown Analytics was founded in 2016 to empower analysts to create and disseminate organizational knowledge. Since then, we’ve grown to become one of the most respected brands in the analytics industry. Our product, dbt, is used by thousands of companies.
We’re looking for a Product Marketing Manager to own our Global Sales Enablement function. Our Revenue team is set to triple in size this year. These future "townies" will join during a time of incredible change in the data landscape– a time when their ability to stay ahead and stay connected will determine their success. We're looking for someone to help.
While prior work in product marketing or sales enablement will flatten the learning curve for this role, these skills are of secondary importance to direct experience as a data practitioner or consultant. If you've served as a data engineer, data analyst, or (dare I say it?) analytics engineer, are keen to get your hands dirty in sales assets and collateral, and are passionate about helping others evangelize dbt, read on!
Who we are
At Fishtown Analytics, we have developed strong opinions on how companies should practice analytics.
Specifically, we believe that:
- Code, not graphical user interfaces, is the best abstraction to express complex analytic logic
- Data analysts should adopt similar practices and tools to software developers
- Critical analytics infrastructure should be controlled by its users as open-source software
- Analytic code itself — not just analytics tools — will increasingly be open source
It turns out that a lot of other people believe this too! Over the course of the past several years we've built a community of 9,000+ people and 3,000 companies who are using our ideas, products, and workflows to conduct analytics, including Lyft, Monzo, GitLab, Snowflake, the ACLU, Amazon, JetBlue, and RentTheRunway. Our product, dbt (https://www.getdbt.com/), has come to be synonymous with the practice of analytics engineering, defining an entire industry. We’re backed by top investors including Andreessen Horowitz and Sequoia Capital, recently raising our series B - read the announcement here.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Design an onboarding and certification workflow that prepares the Revenue team to confidently pursue new customer opportunities.
- Stay ahead of changes to the data space, partnerships, competitive landscape, and personas; filter relevant updates into a consumable format for weekly team briefings
- Work with the Product team to keep the Revenue team abreast of product updates– specifically what they mean for both prospects and existing customers
- Create and maintain internal sales tools like playbooks, battle cards, and cheat sheets that reflect a high degree of customer understanding and empathy
- Create and maintain external collateral like pitch decks, one-pagers, proposal templates, and more
- Regularly listen to customer calls to ensure pitch consistency; coach where necessary
- Develop a cadence of peer-to-peer role-playing to ensure cross-region consistency and continued education
- Track efficacy of messaging and positioning with various customer personas; work with other Product Marketing leads to adjust where necessary
- Build a "virtuous cycle" where the Revenue team can provide feedback on key product messaging, packaging, and pricing in order to inform iterations of each
You are a good fit if you have:
- Worked as a data engineer, analytics engineer, solutions architect, or data consultant
- A solid technical background with experience in, or ability to quickly master SQL
- A strong grasp of the modern data stack, and ability to communicate why it matters
- A passion for dbt, and an interest in creating materials that help communicate its value
- An appetite for collaboration, driven by the belief that your success is dependent on the success of others around you
- Some experience training people in a scalable and measurable way
- A knack for story telling and value-forward messaging; establishing why something is important, who it's important for, and what it's impact will be
- Patience for iteration. You should be willing (and maybe excited?) to spend time creating and testing different materials, knowing that a lot of them might not work out
- An interest in being an involved member of the dbt community
You'll have an edge if you have:
- Prior experience working at an analytics, ETL, BI, and/or open source software company
- Exposure to dimensional modeling
- Experience as an end-user of dbt
- Experience with traditional enterprise ETL tooling like Informatica, Boomi, or Talend
- Experience with product marketing or sales enablement
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary: $130-$150
- Equity: .05%-.1%
- Benefits: Unlimited vacation, 401k w/ 3% guaranteed contribution, excellent healthcare, and paid parental leave
What to expect in the hiring process:
Candidates can expect the interview process to follow the schedule below:
Phone Screen, Lauren Craigie (hiring manager)
Task that demonstrates experience & communication skills
Task Check-in: Becca Lindquist, Head of Sales Carly Kaufman, Head of Solutions Architecture
Department Interview: Janessa Lantz, Director of Marketing
Final Interview Tristan Handy, CEO - values
Fishtown Analytics is headquartered in Philadelphia, PA with a majority-distributed team. This role is open to folks based in the United States.
At Fishtown Analytics, we’re committed to building an inclusive team that welcomes a diversity of perspectives, people, and backgrounds. Whether or not your experience exactly fits the job description above, your passion and skills will stand out and set you apart even if your career has taken some twists and turns. If you are on the fence about whether you meet our requirements, we encourage you to apply anyway!