EquityMultiple is seeking a seasoned Comptroller to join a growing and entrepreneurial financial technology firm focused on real estate syndication to accredited investors. Reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer, this role will head all accounting activities at the company, including but not limited to, managing or even establishing relationships with third-party accountants/auditors, preparation of corporate, investment entity-level and consolidated financial statements, implementation of accounting processes and procedures, bill and expense approval, and assistance with corporate liquidity management and annual budgeting. This is a dynamic position to ultimately build out an accounting team with ample room for growth.
This position is located in Manhattan, however, due to the impacts of COVID-19 EquityMultiple is currently operating remotely. There will be opportunities for in-person interaction and collaboration with colleagues via work summits and company culture events which you can attend wholly at your option and not obligation. Currently, there is a plan to return to in-person office operations in CY2021. Until that time, extensive use of the Google Workspace suite of collaboration and video conferencing tools are employed to maximize support and coordination within and amongst teams with regular All-Hands meetings as well.
The ideal candidate will have at least 4-8 years of experience in accounting at another financial or corporate firm and will have highly advanced skills in Xero, Quickbooks (or similar accounting software) and Excel.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the creation of financial statements and various accounting reports (balance sheet, income statement, statement of cash flows and liquidity analysis) on an investment entity level and consolidated basis
- Contribute to board reporting
- Manage aspects of billing and expense reimbursement
- Close monthly and quarterly books and records Handles monthly bank reconciliation and various banking transactions Implementing accounting processes and procedures
- Build out and mentor team / members Preparation and/or review of 1099’s and K-1s for investment entities
- Make audit ready
- Assist in the construction of footnoted financial statements
- Ad hoc projects as assigned, including assisting with implementation of new accounting technical systems
Experience, Skills and Abilities Required
- 4‐8 years of experience in accounting
- Preferable experience with large accounting firm and subsequent in-house corporate accounting experience
- Real estate specific knowledge and expertise an added benefit
- CPA required
- Knowledge of tax form preparation preferred
- Team‐player and self‐motivated
- Exceptionally thorough and detail‐oriented
- Experience with systems implementations
- Real estate finance and/or investment experience a plus
- Management experience required
EquityMultiple is a commercial real estate investment and technology firm that provides accredited investors access to professionally vetted, private real estate transactions across property types and risk profiles. EquityMultiple’s mission is to make real estate investing simple, accessible, and transparent. To date, EquityMultiple’s investors have participated in over $2.5 billion in commercial real estate transactions through its online investing platform. For more information, please visit https://www.equitymultiple.com/.
EquityMultiple is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.