The Fishtown Analytics team is distributed throughout the United States. Folks who typically work out of the Philadelphia office are working from home until it is safe to return to the office. All interviewing and on-boarding for our roles, regardless of where you are located, are taking place over Zoom for the foreseeable future.
Fishtown Analytics was founded in 2016 to empower analysts to create and disseminate organizational knowledge. Since then, we’ve grown to become one of the most respected brands in the analytics industry. Our product, dbt, is used by thousands of companies.
We’re looking for an experienced analytics engineer to join our Professional Services team. We help startups set up their initial analytics infrastructure and Fortune 1000 companies migrate to modern analytics tools. The work is challenging, to say the least. In return, you’ll be able to work with one of the most talented data teams in the country and with some of the most exciting companies in the world. Sound like something you’re interested in? We’d love to hear from you.
Who we are
At Fishtown Analytics, we have developed strong opinions on how companies should practice analytics.
Specifically, we believe that:
--> Code, rather than graphical user interfaces, is the best tool for defining complex analytical logic.
--> Data analysts and analytics engineers should adopt similar practices and tools to software developers: version control, testing, multiple environments, and continuous integration.
--> Critical analytics infrastructure should be controlled by its users as open-source software.
--> Analytic code itself — not just analytics tools — will increasingly be open source.
It turns out that a lot of other people believe this too! Over the course of the past several years we've built a community of 8,000+ people and 3,000 companies who are using our ideas, products, and workflows to conduct analytics, including Lyft, Monzo, GitLab, Snowflake, the ACLU, Amazon, JetBlue, and RentTheRunway. Our product, dbt (https://www.getdbt.com/), has come to be synonymous with the practice of analytics engineering, defining an entire industry. We’re backed by top investors including Andreessen Horowitz and Sequoia Capital, recently raising our series B - read the announcement here.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Set up / audit / refactor client dbt projects.
- Leverage various data warehouses, ETL tools and BI platforms for client projects
- Refactor SQL code based on our best-in-class, in-house style guide
- Maintain deliverables, projects, and timelines for your client engagements
- Communicate findings clearly to a broad range of stakeholders
- Develop and communicate strong opinions about best practices in Analytics Engineering
- Contribute learnings back to the dbt community (via writing about the work you do, teaching at dbt Learn, etc)
You are a good fit if you:
- Have worked with dbt for 1+ year(s)
- Consider yourself a full stack data analyst
- Are proficient in writing analytical SQL and understand the difference between SQL that works, and performant SQL
- Have experience using the command line and git
- Have a solid understanding of data warehouses and business intelligence tools
- Have 3+ years experience as a data analyst at an ecommerce or SaaS company
- Can communicate clearly and directly about complex technical topics
- Are passionate about building the best version of whatever you’re working on
- Are highly motivated to work autonomously, with strong organizational and time management skills
- Compensation & Benefits
- Salary: $90k - $110k
- Equity stake
- Benefits: Unlimited vacation, 401k w/ 3% guaranteed contribution, excellent healthcare, and paid parental leave
At Fishtown Analytics, we are committed to hiring and cultivating a diverse team. If you are on the fence about whether you meet our requirements, please apply anyway!
What to expect in the hiring process
Candidates can expect the interview process to follow the schedule below:
- Phone Interview with Head of Professional Services (45 minute Zoom call)
- After that we’ll ask you to complete a project that will take about 1-2 hours. The basic gist of this project is to set up a dbt Cloud account/dbt project and refactor a query we provide you using dbt.
- Project review with two analytics engineers (30 minute Zoom call)
- Final round interviews with our Director of Customer Success and CEO (45 minutes each)