Freshly is like your personal chef—no shopping, chopping, or cleanup. Choose deliciously healthy meals sent to you fresh & ready to eat in just 3 minutes.
Freshly is a fast-growing, food-tech startup and the largest fresh-prepared-meal delivery service in the country. It’s our mission to make eating healthy easy (for all kinds of people with all kinds of different needs) by delivering fresh, nutritious, fully cooked meals directly to customers. To get there, we need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people. This is your chance at being a part of history and future success.
This key role on the Procurement & Supply Chain team will by source, select, and evaluate contract manufacturing partners that will enable Freshly to have additional production capacity, more variety for our menu, and cost savings opportunities based on the competencies of the external partners. As Freshly continues to grow at a rapid pace, selecting the right contract manufacturing partners is critical to our overall success. The ideal candidate will have prior procurement contract manufacturing experience in the CPG or food and beverage industry.
Sourcing Strategies & Market Analysis
- Develop the contract manufacturing sourcing strategy through market studies to identify best practices, identify gaps, risks, and opportunities as well as to identify new suppliers and refine a supplier base
- Conduct supply market analysis and drivers for spend categories to track market, evaluate cost proposals, and ensure contract manufacturing business is aligned with market
- Support growth through identification and implementation of adapted partnership with retained suppliers
- Participate in Make or Buy process for new initiatives to support sourcing decisions
- Execute best practice strategic sourcing practices
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in terms of pricing, quality, and supply chain aspects.
- Conduct visits to existing and potential contract manufacturing partners
Supplier and Contract Management
- Implement Supplier Relationship Management (SRM) to improve suppliers’ performance, establish best quality, collaboration, innovation, and cost
- Develop and maintain database of current and potential contract manufacturing partners
- Support initiatives to find available innovation/production capacity/capabilities
- Develop and launch RFQs / RFPs (request for quotation/proposal) to select suppliers in targeted categories
- Analyze the proposals and make recommendations to key internal stake holders
- Negotiate quality, time, and cost of service as well as other commercial terms and conditions
- Lead contract ratification activities, assuring interaction with supplier and Legal teams
- Collaborate with Operations, R&D & Marketing Innovation teams by providing key insight on current capabilities, manufacturing site potential, and economic feasibility.
- Establish standard KPIs for suppliers.
- Evaluate and manage the performance of contract manufacturing supplier partners.
- Define the objectives of improvement of performance and the necessary action plans.
- Financial Management
- Manage overall spend for contract manufacturing and other third party sourcing
- Establish the budget and track variances for respective area through work with Finance and Operations stakeholders.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering, Food Science, or related field preferred
- 5-12 years of relevant professional experience
- 2+ years of contract manufacturing procurement experience in the food and beverage industry highly desired
- Experience with A.T. Kearney 7-step process or similar best-in-class strategic sourcing process.
- Highly proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Google Suite of products.
- Strong skills in time management, prioritizing tasks, and being efficient.
- Travel requirements: 15-20% of work time.
Desired Professional Characteristics:
- Be able to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment. Be self-directed/self-motivated.
- Have a strong sense of job ownership coupled with a solid team orientation.
- Be highly resourceful. Be relationship-based. Be organized and take an “attention to detail” approach.
- Must maintain a high standard of personal and corporate integrity and work ethic.