Lyft was founded in 2012 by Logan Green and John Zimmer to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation, and is available to approximately 95 percent of the United States population as well as select cities in Canada. Lyft is committed to effecting positive change for our cities by offsetting carbon emissions from all rides, and by promoting transportation equity through shared rides, bikeshare systems, electric scooters, and public transit partnerships.
At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
We care deeply about delivering the best transportation experience; this means the best experience for the passenger and the best experience for the driver. We believe this quality of service can only be achieved with a deep understanding of our world, our cities, our streets… how they evolve, how they breathe. We embrace the powerful positive impact autonomous transportation will bring to our everyday lives and with our ambition, we will become a leader in the development and operation of such vehicles. Thanks to our network, with hundreds of millions of rides every year, we have the means to make autonomy a safe reality. As a member of Level5, you will have the opportunity to develop and deploy tomorrow’s hardware & software solutions and thereby revolutionize transportation.
Lyft’s autonomous vehicle architecture consists of a sophisticated network of sensors, high-performance computers, and embedded microcontrollers. As a member of the Systems Engineering team, you will perform a comprehensive, iterative technical management process that includes translating product requirements into configured systems, integrating the technical inputs of the entire design team, managing interfaces, managing technical risk, transitioning technology from the industrial and research base into program specific efforts and verifying those designs meet operational needs.
- Work cross-functionally with product, technical program management, software, mechanical, and electrical engineering to integrate and verify sub-systems for autonomous vehicles
- Define and track systems requirements
- Define and support execution of systems verification and validation testing
- Define system and sub-system level architecture
- Perform trade studies on autonomous vehicle sensors and system components such as compute, network/timing, IMU, GNSS, etc...
- Lead cross-functional technical design reviews
- Support the functional safety processes
- 5+ years of professional work experience, preferably working around complex system development
- Master’s degree in one of the following fields: mechanical, electrical, computer engineering, or related disciplines
- Demonstrated experience performing engineering analysis & trade studies of entire system covering electronics, mechanical components, controls, and safety
- Demonstrated experience defining and executing verification and validation testing for complex systems
- Strong experience in one of the following fields: sensors (camera, radar, lidar), controls, geo-localization (GPS & IMU), or computer architecture
- Experience in the design and development of automotive or related electrical and electronic systems and/or components (including sensor and remote sensing technologies) or computer architectures or hardware/software for safety critical applications
- Ability to influence, negotiate, and inspire others in a matrixed environment
- Ability to communicate highly technical problems and solutions at all levels from engineer to C-level executives
- Proven ability to operate effectively and autonomously across multiple teams in situations of ambiguity, with only high level direction
- Experience developing complex systems combining remote sensing technology, Artificial Intelligence, and Controls for a safety critical application
- Experience in requirement derivation, tracking and verification tests processes (V diagram) in automotive applications
- Understanding of typical vehicle communication protocols/interfaces
- Experience in systems integration, vehicle testing, functional safety, and vehicle launch
- Software coding skills (matlab, python or C/C++)
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.