Our mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.
The public and private sectors have a unique opportunity to work together to address the world’s most pressing challenges. Microsoft is committed to do its part, by working closely with governments and others to help achieve important economic and social goals. To that end, we are seeking an individual to join our State Government Affairs (SGA) Industry team. The SGA Industry Team manager will play a critical role in working with state and local government, and education leaders to advocate for policies and programs that advance digital transformation and increase the responsible use of cloud-based technologies.
SGA Industry team managers will closely coordinate with Microsoft’s US Regulated Industries (USRI) sales organization, government stakeholders, and consultants to identify and pursue opportunities for governments to cloud computing solutions. Industry team managers will also work closely with SGA policy directors who lead Microsoft’s engagement on a wide array of policy issues with government leaders. In addition, Industry team managers will develop relationships with organizations that influence state and local government technology policymakers and develop analyses that help advise USRI pursuits.
- Promote Microsoft as a local and worldwide leader in providing software, services, and solutions that help people and organizations achieve more.
- Work closely with public sector sales teams at the local and state level to affect the adoption and usage of Microsoft technology.
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships with state and local elected officials, and organizations that influence the direction of state and local government technology adoption.
- Educate stakeholders on the structure of state and local governments and their IT function, including structure, funding, and governance.
- Manage government affairs and lobbyist consultants.
- Help advance Microsoft’s social responsibility programs, in partnership with stakeholders across the company.
- Propose and participate in the development of thought leadership materials that articulate Microsoft’s vision for enabling digital transformation in states.
- Ensure compliance of political activities with external laws and regulations and Microsoft Standards of Business Conduct.
This role is fully remote, and successful candidates can come from anywhere within the US.
- Bachelor's Degree in Public Policy, Public Administration, or business administration/IT AND 2+ years experience in government affairs, corporate affairs, public policy, government, professional services/consulting, or Information Technology.
- OR 5+ years experience in government affairs, corporate affairs, public policy, professional services/consulting, or Information Technology.
- Experience developing and maintaining strategic relationships with state and local elected officials, and organizations that influence the direction of state and local government technology adoption.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of government information technology (IT) concepts, and technology policy as it pertains to procurement, governance, compliance, and budgeting.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, communicate with peers and managers, etc.
- 3+ years experience in developing and managing strategic relationships to advocate and influence public/technology policy priorities.
- Demonstrated results in developing and implementing strategic plans involving legislative and policy matters
- Familiarity with technology and related public policy issues
- Ability to engage effectively in a variety of public settings
- Experience managing contracted resources
- Ability to work as a team player
- Proven track record as an effective advocate and relationship builder.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.