You’re in high demand. We get it. The best people always are. So what could we possibly say to stand apart from the others also competing for your talents?
We could tell you that you’d be on the ground floor of one of the hottest new startups in Silicon Valley. We could tell you how we’re commercializing a collaborative data experience based on our prior industry-leading work at companies like Netflix and Apple. Or we could say to you that we’re building something new and exciting, and will completely change the way millions of people worldwide work with data.
Most people might find this pretty compelling. But you’re not most people. You want more. So why us? Why this opportunity?
Because this is everything you’ve ever wanted in a job:
It’s the team you’ve always wanted. It’s working alongside some of the best & brightest minds in tech. Talented engineers who, despite being leaders in their fields, remain humble and helpful. Accomplished colleagues who can communicate clearly and effectively, and who embrace your contributions with an open mind and no ego. It’s exploring the unknown with a team of dependable, emotionally-mature colleagues who thrive in collaborative environments and are excited by what they’re doing. It’s working with people you truly enjoy working with.
It’s the work environment you’ve only dreamed of. No, that doesn’t mean pinball machines and beer on tap. It means being treated like the experienced, well-rounded, capable adult you are. It’s the freedom to explore groundbreaking new ideas and cutting-edge technologies without first asking permission. It’s the ability to boldly experiment with the unknown, without fear of failure, because we know every failure uncovers new insights. It’s the opportunity to learn more, grow faster, and have more impact than you ever thought possible.
It’s the company culture you’ve been longing for. It’s being proud of where you work, knowing you are part of a company with moral leaders, strong principles, and unshakeable ethics. It’s fostering a genuinely inclusive workplace, where everyone is treated with respect--and brilliant jerks are not tolerated. It’s a culture of transparency and trust, where you have access to everything and are encouraged to pursue your boundless curiosity. It’s being trusted to make good decisions and being unafraid to take smart risks. It’s about having fun and finding meaning in what you do. It’s working at the most sensible, pragmatic place you’ve ever heard of.
**So again, why us? **
Because it’s rare to find a meaningful and challenging role you genuinely enjoy. It’s even more rare to find that role at a company with an extraordinary team, work environment, and company culture. But finding it in a brand new, well-funded startup that’s poised for explosive growth? Growth that you directly help create?
That’s exceedingly rare.
Like, once-in-a-lifetime rare.
And that’s got to be worth a conversation at least. :)
How will you spend your days?
- Coordinate with the Product Manager and Lead UI Developer to map product needs to APIs usable by the wider team.
- Apply modeling best practices to make the new Data Connection integration work for your next upcoming customer project.
- Review your colleague’s Python FastAPI integration PR, which fixes a bug in SQLAlchemy models for existing routes.
- Present to the company how we can improve our integration testing patterns to improve the API server uptime and avoid potential outages.
- Is it Friday? End your week with a virtual Social Hour with the whole team, or geek out with colleagues at a virtual game night.
Who are you?
- You’re constantly honing your craft, and you’ve achieved deep expertise in at least one language or technology at some point in your career.
- You take pride in the code you write. You value clean, elegant, and efficient code, and you encourage the same from your team.
- You thrive in a culture of freedom and self-direction, and you understand the responsibility that comes with autonomy.
- You enjoy collaborating with others. You seek out diversity of thought and embrace feedback from your customers and colleagues.
- You are biased toward action. You deliver results quickly with iteration, instead of waiting for perfection, and you actively solicit feedback.
- You are intensely curious. You’re always learning something new or digging deeper to understand how something works.
- You have a passion for quality and keen attention to detail. You don’t consider work done until it has been tested and documented.
What do you know?
- You are familiar with the Python programming language.
- You have experience working on Model-View-Controller (MVC) systems.
- You know the ins and outs of systems that interface between databases and API requests.
- You’re comfortable designing RESTful APIs and know patterns that work well for rapid growth of API usage in a platform.
- You are familiar with SQL systems used to maintain database schemas.
- You have an understanding of consistency and distributed state management, and you have experience designing & delivering high-quality stateful systems.
- You know how to communicate effectively with peers to plan and execute goals.
- You possess a positive attitude, willingness to learn, and desire to grow.
Also, while these are NOT required, it’s a nice bonus if you’re familiar with any of these concepts:
- contributing to open source projects
- notebook technologies - Jupyter, Zeppelin, IPython, ObservableHQ, etc.
- big data technologies - Apache Spark, Flink, Hadoop, etc.
- containerized cloud-based environments - AWS, Google, Azure, Docker, Kubernetes, etc.
- analytics lifecycle - exploratory analysis, data engineering, ad hoc queries, reporting, deployment
- data science concepts - machine learning, R, stat packages (e.g. pandas, NumPy), feature engineering, predictions, model training and evaluation
We understand that sometimes the best engineers aren’t the ones who ‘check all the boxes.’ We value individual growth, which means not knowing something isn’t as important as your ability and willingness to learn it. If you answer “yes” to a majority of the skills & traits above, then you’re someone we’d love to talk with.