TL;DR: A proven designer to create and own the foundational design systems for Notus - from the look and feel of the core product to end-to-end user journey. You will lead and build out your own team.
What is Notus?
Notus' goal is to build a world without ads.
For decades, ads were a primary way for companies to reach their users, no matter how disruptive to their audience. From spray-and-pray to pay-for-play, ads are getting worse.
Now, users are spending more time within online communities and are engaging with an increasing number of platforms, such as audio-based, social, and newsletters. Companies have the chance to communicate with their users authentically — but lack tools to do so at scale.
Notus enables teams to communicate with their community and grow brand presence by highlighting the highest-priority conversations, communities, and storytellers to engage with.
We are a founding team (Yuliya & Tyler) of builders and operators with deep experience in community building, marketing, and systems engineering. We are backed by a tier 1 fund (soon to be announced) and operator angels from community-led companies, including Tesla, Glossier, and others.
In this role, you will:
- Build the design of Notus: This role will require you to prioritize ruthlessly and be focused solely on the end user. Your voice will be essential in shaping the core product, and your design decisions will have immediate and far-reaching impact. You will work in collaboration with the engineering and data science teams to give Notus customers an elegant experience.
- Grow the team and culture: As an early member of the team, you will form the defining DNA for the company in terms of the culture and future team members. Our ability to build a market-defining product is solely dependent on the team and culture we foster.
- Set up foundational frameworks: You'll join at the genesis of something totally new and come into a fast-paced, fast-changing environment. We value process-driven systems that enable us to work smarter as we scale, and you'll build out design systems that will serve as guide rails for your team.
- Define, shape and design our core product and brand
- Create design systems to ensure that our customers have a seamless, elegant solution
- Interact with customers to understand their needs and validate design and user flow
- Help shape the product roadmap and plan design sprints that allow us to build quickly and be agile to user feedback
- Recruit, interview and build a team of talented designers, and improve our design hiring process
What we are looking for:
- Deep design experience of laying the foundations for products solving for complex problems within the B2B space. Bonus points: software/SaaS
- Experience with cohesive storytelling through interaction and visual design, typography
- Experience with prototyping to explore and iterate on design solutions
- An eye for creative, simple design that unfailingly keeps the Notus customer at its core
You belong at Notus if**:**
- You have integrity, grit, curiosity and a growth mindset
- You are able to get to the root cause of things. You can identify the most important problems to tackle, break down complex sprints into actionable items, self-direct and keep your focus despite competing/changing priorities.
- You are a process-driven, principled thinker. You build frameworks to guide your actions and find ways to iterate on your process to be more effective. Your default mode is to question, test, and improve systems. You can been proven to traverse easily between high-level and granular thinking and to translate vision into tactics.
- You are a team player with no ego. We are only as good as our team, and our team is a cohesive, singular unit moving towards one goal. We build a high level of trust by putting the team's success before ourselves: delivering on our commitments, relying on each other for clear feedback, recognizing each other's blind spots and ways to overcome them.
- You are an effective, clear communicator and rely on radical transparency. You can explain complex, nuanced ideas/data simply in writing and verbally. In a debate, you welcome differing points and side with the argument based on merit and logic, even if it means reaching a compromise. You are able to give and welcome direct feedback to help yourself and your team improve.
- You have deep user empathy and an anthropological approach. Our users are at the center of every decision and every action we collectively make. Because you are coming in as one of the earliest members, you default to carefully listening to and finding patterns in user feedback to drive product development.
- You believe that life's too short to not be doing hard, exceptional things.
What's it like to work at Notus?
We highly value our team and will:
- compensate you well: competitive salary, stock options, employee benefits, healthcare, self-development benefits, mental health days, unlimited PTO, remote-friendly (preferably US-based)
- get out of your way and give you the resources to do your best work
- ensure that this is the most impactful, meaningful work in your career
Interested in applying? Email Yuliya (CEO) directly at email@example.com with your CV/LinkedIn, your portfolio, and any links you think are relevant (Twitter, blog, personal site). A few sentences on why you'd be a good fit for Notus would be a nice bonus.
This position does not have a manager or reports