Product-minded senior software engineer who enjoys solving difficult problems with a seamless, delightful end user experience.
What is Notus?
Notus' goal is to build a world without ads.
For decades, ads were a primary way for companies to reach their users, no matter how disruptive to their audience. From spray-and-pray to pay-for-play, ads are getting worse.
Now, users are spending more time within online communities and are engaging with an increasing number of platforms, such as audio-based, social, and newsletters. Companies have the chance to communicate with their users authentically — but lack tools to do so at scale.
Notus enables teams to communicate with their community and grow brand presence by highlighting the highest-priority conversations, communities, and storytellers to engage with.
We are a founding team (Yuliya & Tyler) of builders and operators with deep experience in community building, marketing, and systems engineering. We are backed by a tier 1 fund (soon to be announced) and operator angels from community-led companies, including Tesla, Glossier, and others.
- Build product: This role will require you to move fast, prioritize ruthlessly, and be focused solely on the end user. Your voice will be essential in shaping the product and the roadmap, and your decisions will have immediate and far-reaching impact. You will work in collaboration with the engineering and design teams to build and scale Notus.
- Grow the team and culture: As an early member of the team, you will form the defining DNA for the company in terms of the culture and future team members. Our ability to build a market-defining product is solely dependent on the team and culture we foster.
- Set up foundational frameworks: You'll join at the genesis of something totally new and come into a fast-paced, fast-changing environment. We value process-driven systems that enable us to work smarter as we scale, and you'll build out frameworks that will serve as guide rails for the engineering team.
- Contribute to the development of the Notus web application end-to-end
- Work with the design team to develop interfaces that abstract away complexities and delivers an elegant and delightful user experience
- Write APIs to deliver data from multiple data sources
- Extract and transform data from 3rd party APIs
- Help shape the roadmap and plan sprints that allow us to quickly deliver features and be agile to user feedback
- Be a key part of hiring, including interviewing and providing input into team growth decisions
What we are looking for:
- Experience with designing and implementing production web applications
- Experience with relational databases like Postgres/MySQL
- Experience with building and integrating APIs
- Experience with working in fast paced environments, and if a remote candidate, experience on a distributed team with async communication is a bonus
- Not bound to a particular tech stack and can learn new technologies on-the-go
- Bonus points for experience with any of the following technologies GraphQL, ElasticSearch, Headless browsers, data pipelines, Cassandra, Python, or K8s
You belong at Notus if:
- You have integrity, grit, curiosity and a growth mindset
- You are able to get to the root cause of things. You can identify the most important problems to tackle, break down complex sprints into actionable items, self-direct and keep your focus despite competing/changing priorities.
- You are a process-driven, principled thinker. You build frameworks to guide your actions and find ways to iterate on your process to be more effective. Your default mode is to question, test, and improve systems. You can been proven to traverse easily between high-level and granular thinking and to translate vision into tactics.
- You are a team player with no ego. We are only as good as our team, and our team is a cohesive, singular unit moving towards one goal. We build a high level of trust by putting the team's success before ourselves: delivering on our commitments, relying on each other for clear feedback, recognizing each other's blind spots and ways to overcome them.
- You are an effective, clear communicator and rely on radical transparency. You can explain complex, nuanced ideas/data simply in writing and verbally. In a debate, you welcome differing points and side with the argument based on merit and logic, even if it means reaching a compromise. You are able to give and welcome direct feedback to help yourself and your team improve.
- You have deep user empathy and an anthropological approach. Our users are at the center of every decision and every action we collectively make. Because you are coming in as one of the earliest members, you default to carefully listening to and finding patterns in user feedback to drive product development.
- You believe that life's too short to not be doing hard, exceptional things.
What's it like to work at Notus?
We highly value our team and will:
- compensate you well: competitive salary, stock options, employee benefits, healthcare, self-development benefits, mental health days, unlimited PTO, remote-friendly (preferably US-based)
- get out of your way and give you the resources to do your best work
- ensure that this is the most impactful, meaningful work in your career
Get to know us: a high-budget, rapid-fire 5-Question Interview with the Founders
Interested in applying? Email Yuliya (CEO) directly at firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV/LinkedIn and any links you think are relevant (Github, Twitter, blog, personal site). A few sentences on why you'd be a good fit for Notus would be a nice bonus.
This position does not have a manager or reports