Are you passionate about coffee (Chemex, Espresso Tonic, Freddo 🤔)? Do you have an idea why everyone seems to love Haskell so much? Do you wonder which company will achieve crazy valuation levels next? Did BoJack Horseman change your view on life? Do you spend a lot of your time geeking out about something with software engineers or product people? Would you take a job with a company because you like their (our, let's be honest) visual identity and especially brand colours? Is occasionally photoshopping memes with your colleagues a habit of yours?
There's a lot of questions we'd like to ask you if you applied for this job but to be honest we'd take any answer — having an interesting discussion about these is more important for us. Or any peculiar interests of yours! And we're very much looking forward to these talks when you join us 😊
We in this case are Ioannis and Evan — People Partners for Software Engineering and Product at Pleo. One with a background in Engineering and big on Music, another with a background in Engineering, Psychology, and Graphic Design — and both with passion for People: sensibly, diversely, and effectively growing our Product teams, while maintaining and further enhancing their culture.
With upcoming Series C Pleo continues to scale at an ever-growing pace. Until now hiring is something we were doing ourselves coupled with other People Ops responsibilities. But at this stage, we want to bring in Talent Partners to support that growth.
So what's hiring at Pleo like?
- We spend time with the teams we're hiring for. Like, join their standups, have lunch together, go out for team dinners — really get to know them. And also understand what they do, what's their impact, and who will be a good addition for them!
- A lot of attention to cultural fit/add. Pleo's culture is something that has been making us special and we only aim to maintain and improve it!
- Candidate experience is key. People interviewing with us either get a job or a helpful feedback. That's our aspiration with every role.
- Giving chances. Can someone not matching the job requirements still be a good match? Is there a potential for hiring this amazing person for a role that we haven't thought of yet? We ask ourselves these questions all the time
What does this role entail
Based on your background and interests you'd either focus on engineering or product/design hiring. Also based on your previous experience, the exact focus of the role might vary, but in general, would be a mix of:
- Managing incoming applications. Application reviews, intro calls, coordinating the hiring process, etc.
- Sourcing. Aside from incoming applications we also like to reach out to potentially interesting people ourselves. Not everyone is actively looking for a job or knows about Pleo (yet :P) after all. However, we are strongly against the "spray and pray" approach in sourcing and we prefer to actually spend time writing a personal message to selected people rather than sending the same impersonal message to everyone with "software engineer" of "product designer" title on LinkedIn 🤷 If you are a creative person this is where you'll probably shine 😀
- Hiring at scale. We'd like to increase our hiring pace without compromising on our hiring philosophy and values. To tackle this challenge, we'd need (aside from hiring talent partners :P) to get more creative, smart, and efficient. So this is an area where you could contribute if you have experience in hiring in a hyper-growth environment.
Previous recruitment experience is not essential, but we would like you to be:
- Highly organised
- Able to think creatively about how to connect with talented people
- Motivated to continuously improve the way we do things
- Emotionally intelligent and love getting to know people
- Interested, knowledgable and curious about technology
Your mom says that
- You ask "why" a lot
- You spent Sundays reading the phone book
- She asks you and not Google, when she wants to find something
- You probably work in IT (moms)
Show me the benefits
- Your own Pleo card (no more out-of-pocket spending)
- Ability to work remotely (anywhere between east coast of the Americas to European timezones)......or onsite if you want to (Copenhagen, London, Berlin, Stockholm, Madrid)
- Quarterly trips to somewhere for team camps (both company-wide ones and team-specific ones).
- The last one was in Northern Ireland last December.
- Investment in learning & developing (just check with your team for what's reasonable, we don't have set budgets)
And here are some other nice gestures that we do
- Catered lunch in our HQ and London offices when you're here25 days holidays (annual)
- Loads of weird and wonderful niche communities to join in the company (we're talking guerrilla gardening, liquids tasting, the Pleo band, learning to code initiatives, beer brewing, skiing, that type of thing)
- Wild enthusiasm and encouragement from us if you want to host MeetUps, events, etc - we'll help (venue, food etc)
Working at Pleo means you're working on something very exciting: the future of work. Through fintech we've seen a way to impact how people work; we think company spending should be delegated to all employees and teams, that it should be as automated as possible, and that it should drive a culture of responsible spending. Based on some pretty amazing Series C-round investment in 2021 we think we're onto something big.
So, in a nutshell, that's Pleo. Today we are a 320+ team, from over 46 nations, sitting in our Copenhagen HQ, London, Stockholm, Berlin, Madrid, or Montreal offices – and quite a few full-time remotes in 16 other countries! Being HQ'd out of Copenhagen means we're inspired by sensible things like a good work-life balance. If you don't work in the office with us we'll help you get up the best remote setup possible, and will fly you in once a quarter for team camps.
Things to look up about us
Sometimes, we win awards 🤩 🏆
If you want to know how we hire company-wide, there's a post on our blog.
Or have a sneak peek into what happens when get together for Pleo Team Camp on our YouTube 👈🏾
Check out what we think about the realities of working remotely on our blog.
No one says it quite like our customers. Hear what they have to say this week on Trustpilot.
Also, check out Glassdoor if you'd like to hear about us from other people.
PS. we treat all candidates equally: If you are interested please apply through our application system - any correspondence should come from there! Our lovely support isn't able to pass on any calls/ emails our way - and this makes sure that the candidate experience is smooth and fair to everyone 🙂