In 2019, immigrants worldwide sent over $550 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed diaspora members from several African nations - and more recently Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
We are looking to rapidly expand around the world in the next year. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
In this role, you will:
- Manage the internal response to delivery incidents, which will include working closely with our Support team - and other internal Sendwave teams as needed - to identify and address issues related to the payment for and delivery of remittance transactions
- Work closely with Sendwave’s partners to solve operational issues with + optimize the performance of Sendwave’s services, and launch new services
Location / Work environment:
- Your work day needs to partially overlap with the Head of Delivery Operations (based in Washington, DC) and our partners in the Eastern Hemisphere (Colombo, Sri Lanka). Timezones that accommodate this include GMT, CET, HST.
- You are comfortable + excited to work asynchronously + independently in a remote team environment. The Sendwave Delivery Team spans a multitude of timezones, and we are not all online together at the same time. Your Manager (Head of Delivery Operations) is currently based in Washington, DC.
- You have experience and basic comfortability with SQL, and a willingness to grow in this area, as needed.
- You have experience performing regular data analysis and presenting your findings in a robust, straightforward manner.
- You have 1+ years of operations experience - ideally in a high-growth, rapidly changing environment.
- You have third-party relationship management experience, and a natural ability to build rapport with stakeholders / colleagues.
- [Once it’s safe to travel] You are willing to travel up to four weeks / year to meet with your team and the rest of the company. In addition, you would be excited to spend a couple of additional weeks a year traveling to collaborate in-person with our partners worldwide.
You might be a good fit if you
- Are a self-starter, take initiative, self-manage, and require little day-to-day direction to be successful.
- Are comfortable working in ambiguous, fast-paced, and quickly changing contexts.
- Are highly logical, analytical, and an innovative thinker. You can quickly process and react to new circumstances in high-pressure situations while pushing for a desired outcome.
- Have strong written and communication skills.
- Take responsibility for the outcomes of your core duties, and don’t shy away from embarrassing honesty.
- Challenge the status quo and don’t stop asking “why” until you understand the root causes of issues.
- Are highly organized, a structured thinker and communicator, and seek to automate and streamline processes as much as possible.
- Are a team player!
- Are passionate about achieving Sendwave's mission and are excited at the prospect of lowering remittance costs for diaspora communities.
- Enjoy building relationships and have a successful track record of productive relationships with external and internal parties.
- Are motivated to give our users the best possible experience.
Bonus points if you
- Have helped build and / or scale the operations of an organization or product / service.
- Have experience working in the payments or broader fintech industry.
- Have experience working in a remote, fast-paced, nimble environment (e.g., startup, remote company).
- Our team of over 200 employees are fully distributed across the world— working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- We play in bands, teach dance classes, run Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We're backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Wave below. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Wave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.