Annually, one billion immigrants worldwide send over $600 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed users in North America and Europe to send money instantly to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ghana, Nigeria, Bangladesh, Liberia, and Senegal saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
We're growing quickly, and are looking to rapidly expand globally in the next year. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
As an HR Generalist you will be part of the People team working in close partnership with the Head of People acting as a key resource for internal partners across the business. You will focus on a variety of initiatives across the employee lifecycle with significant impact to improving overall employee experience.
In your first few months, you'll:
- Oversee day-to-day employee relations concerns including disability claims, policy violations, performance improvement plans, and terminations. Advise and educate managers handling complex people issues in a global context.
- Create employee handbooks in every geography where the company has at least five employees and socialize the handbooks with employees
- Manage and conduct investigations related to employee claims and provide guidance to business partners and leaders, in accordance to local laws and regulations
- Support the company’s transition to a new HRIS, Workday
- Support the company’s mobility policies to enable the company to hire a diverse, global workforce.
- Effective management and communication of benefits and related processes: Educate all stakeholders and employees.
- Support the roll out quarterly/annual HR programs (e.g. performance reviews, employee surveys, comp planning) with a diversity and inclusion lens
- 3+ years of previous experience handling employee relations within a startup or high-growth business
- Experience with and passion for supporting diversity and inclusion strategy initiatives
- Superb time management, prioritization skills, and able to meet deadlines
Bonus points if you have
- PHR or SPHR Certificate
- GMS Certificate
- Experience running an open enrolment process
- Experience using workday experience designing benefits for an organization with employees on at least two continents
**You might be a good fit if you **
- Are very organized and detail-oriented - you like to roll up your sleeves and get into the nitty-gritty.
- Are driven to face tasks head on, complete them efficiently, and move on to the next ones.
- Are eager to think outside of the box when faced with potential roadblocks.
- Are tech-savvy and feel comfortable troubleshooting tech issues.
- Have previously worked for a remote company and enjoy working independently.
- Our team of 100-odd engineers, finance & compliance professionals, marketers, & people ops professionals as well as over 100 customer support personnel are fully distributed across - North America, Europe, and Africa — working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- We play in bands, teach dance classes, run Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We're backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Sendwave below. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Sendwave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.