In 2019, immigrants worldwide sent over $550 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed diaspora members from several African nations - and more recently Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
We are looking to rapidly expand around the world in the next year. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
This role requires at least 3 years of work experience, working in fast paced environments. You don't need to necessarily come from a growth, marketing or startup background. Successful team members have come from the Peace Corps, NGOs, strategy consulting, investment firms and political campaigns.
In your first few months, you'll:
- Identify the scope of the problems a diaspora community has when it comes to sending money, by embedding yourself in the community, building trust, and asking questions, both via online and offline channels
- Ensure our product fits the community’s needs, via user research and close collaboration with our product team
- Identify and negotiate with key partners and channels in the markets to get access to the community in the most efficient ways and make us “viral.” This could entail community events, to Facebook groups, radio shows and more— you’ll have to get creative!
- Use social media, community influencers, and any other methods you see fit to scale the business
- Work hand in hand with our digital marketing team, in charge of our paid channels
- Build and test new user acquisition strategies: defining hypotheses, analyzing results, and iterating through new tests as we optimize our user acquisition machine
- Throughout the above process, help us to build out the playbook further, with the other market launchers, to make country launches even faster and more successful in future markets
- Location: Australia remote, with an expected travel of 25 - 50% to other hubs within Australia
- This is an immersive role and requires consistent evening work and work on 75% of weekends
- Native or fluent English
- Work authorisation: You must possess the right to work in Australia
- Three+ years of work experience
You might be a good fit if you
- If you love to be entrepreneurial, this means being able to do whatever it takes to make the market work.
- Enjoy interacting with people, via every channel. IRL, over the phone, WhatsApp..
- Are comfortable being scrappy, while staying critical when emerging yourself in the community via different channels.
- Possess a bias toward action and testing, and are analytical and critical in your approach
- Quickly absorb new cultural settings and understand how they might impact Sendwave's strategy
- Are eager to take on an immersive role as this one will require consistent evening and weekend work and a fair amount of travel.
- Are persuasive and can convince others to pursue a course of action.
- Possess strong habits that will keep you energised as you chase specific growth targets over periods of weeks and months in a largely autonomous role.
Bonus points if you
- Are familiar with the diaspora communities we serve.
- Have experience meeting aggressive numeric targets.
- Have experience launching own projects
- Know how to use SQL
- Are fluent in the language of one of our diaspora communities
- Our team of over 200 employees are fully distributed across the world— working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- We play in bands, teach dance classes, run Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We're backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Sendwave below. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Sendwave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.