In 2019, immigrants worldwide sent over $550 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world as easy and affordable as sending a text. Since 2014, our app has allowed Africans in the US, the UK, and Canada to send money instantly to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Tanzania, Nigeria and Senegal saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
How you'll help us achieve it
Over 2020, Sendwave’s pace of growth has rapidly accelerated as we added more markets than we had cumulatively in our first five years in business, tripling the size of our engineering team, and signing a merger agreement with another major player in our space, WorldRemit. In 2021, we expect to really hit the gas pedal: adding markets, team members, and potentially product lines at an ever-faster clip.
That’s where you come in. We currently don’t have a dedicated strategic finance function, and forecasting and decisioning are less data-driven than they should be as a result. Your role is to change that: diving in and modeling all the key drivers of our business - not just financial metrics - and proactively pointing out both problems and opportunities to our CEO & leadership team.
This role is an excellent opportunity for a highly analytical and ambitious finance professional to develop new models and insights which will both broaden our product and customer understanding and identify key decisions impacting growth trajectory.
In your first 90 days, you will
- Develop unit economics, lifetime value, and acquisition cost modeling for our user base, working with relevant internal teams to improve data quality in order to facilitate better tracking and segmentation.
- Analyze monthly results and deliver KPI and variance-to-budget reporting to our CEO & board.
- Build and maintain our corporate financial model that details the entire company’s operations and projects future performance based on the key drivers of the business
In your first year, you might
- Model market entry scenarios to inform decision on new product launch or market entry decisions.
- Participate in investor conversations around our financial future.
- Prioritize initiatives to improve profitability & company growth.
- Location: Our company is 100% remote. You can be based anywhere in the the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, Belgium, Kenya, Senegal, or Cote d’Ivoire.
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Minimum 3 years relevant finance or accounting experience, including building financial models from scratch.
- Proficient in SQL & PowerPoint and expert in Excel
You might be a good fit if you
- Are a self-starter, take initiative, self-manage and require little day-to-day direction to be successful
- Love finding stories in data, are obsessed with cleanliness & automation, and know when to 80/20
- Are naturally curious about the inner-workings of a company and constantly find yourself framing questions and diving into data to find their answers.
- Enjoy collaborating with others & seek to understand their perspectives. You’ll spend the bulk of your time in our data, but a successful team member in this role will seek knowledge (& buy-in) from team members as well.
- Are passionate about achieving Sendwave's mission and are excited at the prospect of lowering remittance costs for diaspora communities.
Bonus points if you
- Have experience in consumer fintech, particularly remittance
- Can program in Python, R, or another language. (The more autonomously you can work with our disparate data sources, not just financial data, the more valuable you’ll be.)
- Our team of over 200 employees are fully distributed across the world— working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- We play in bands, teach dance classes, run Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We're backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Sendwave below. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Wave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.