On Spotify's apps, music can be browsed or searched for via various parameters, such as artist, album, genre, playlist, or record label. Users can create, edit and share playlists, share tracks on social media, and make playlists with other users. Spotify provides access to over 35 million songs.
Spotify’s Strategic Planning group is looking for an exceptional Analyst to join its team. One of the most critical elements in managing Spotify’s financial and strategic plan is understanding how we pay royalties to rightsholders and how to accurately forecast for this. In this role, you will partner with various functions across the business to project and analyze Spotify’s royalty payments to record labels, music publishers, and collecting societies around the world. To handle the data scale and complexity of this unique area, you will leverage our modern, code-based infrastructure to produce sophisticated forecasts that center around accuracy, scalability, flexibility, and speed. Since royalties are the single largest cost driver for Spotify, you will also play a critical role in supporting and steering Spotify’s margin and profitability strategy through a combination of quantitative analysis, critical thinking, and data-driven insights.
At Spotify, we are passionate about what we do and deliver on high-impact projects with both quality and pace through tight-knit, cross-functional collaboration. By turning strategies and operational plans into predictive financial models, you will craft the process in which Spotify’s senior leadership understand and evaluate the health and trajectory of our business. Above all, your work will change the way in which the world experiences audio content for years to come.
What you'll do
- Assist in delivering quarterly forecasts by building detailed royalty projection models across all 170 markets (and counting) where Spotify is live
- Collaborate with the team’s Data Science function to deliver model improvements and feature enhancements to our Python-based royalty model that begin with Excel “wireframes” and end with scalable code modules
- Create gross margin reconciliations and explanations after each quarterly forecast to help senior Finance leadership understand the main drivers of variance and change
- Produce monthly actuals-to-forecast variance analysis on Spotify’s gross margin and identify impactful opportunities that would increase the accuracy of our forecast models or accounting practices
- Contribute to ad hoc analyses and business case modeling that concerns royalties, ranging from artist royalty analytics to innovations upon Spotify’s rightsholder payout model
- You will work out of the New York office
Who you are
- 2+ years of relevant experience in finance, operations, and/or strategy roles
- Familiarity with financial statements is a must; exposure to SaaS and/or content licensing business models preferred
- Advanced Excel/Google Sheets skills with a deep understanding of model architecture, formula efficiency, pivot tables, and macros
- Prior experience with Tableau and SQL is a plus, though you will be required to eventually learn and apply these skills on the job
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment, focuses on generating results, and willing to "roll up their sleeves"
- Experience distilling complexity into articulate narratives that cater to diverse audiences, especially those who are not quantitative or technical
- Intellectual curiosity, the ability to stay organized in a highly cross-functional setting, and a proactive approach to learning and execution