Stripe is the best software platform for running an internet business. We handle billions of dollars every year for forward-thinking businesses around the world.
Stripe’s mission is to build the economic infrastructure for the internet. Supportability Intelligence builds models and systems to understand Stripe’s users at scale. Our systems enforce Stripe’s Terms Of Service; classify merchants into industry groupings; and detect extremist groups in the Stripe ecosystem. We’re critical for ensuring that Stripe understands who’s using our products and for what; that we’re a responsible force for good in the Fintech ecosystem; and that the rest of Stripe’s products work smoothly and effectively.
The Supportability Intelligence team combines machine learning with backend engineering expertise to build exciting products. We work closely with cross-functional partners to solve business problems holistically, where Machine Learning is a critical component but creative thinking and pragmatic problem solving are just as important. As part of a new team, you can have a huge impact on the next generation of our systems from scoping to implementation.
As a Backend Engineer you will work on both live production code and training data pipelines, help design our classification and detection systems, and define and measure performance.
Your work will include:
- Building live Stripe systems that interface with our models to make decisions
- Working with our partner teams to design scalable detection systems that combine human and machine input
- Working with engineers across the company to develop the right technologies for scaling our infrastructure
- Defining, measuring and monitoring health & impact metrics
- Debugging production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
You may be a good fit if you:
- Have at least 3 years of software engineering experience
- Enjoy and have experience building scalable backend infrastructure
- Enjoy working cross-functionally, owning a business problem end-to-end
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems
- Think about systems and services and write high quality code
- Bonus if you are experienced in Ruby or Scala (Spark), but these are by no means required