Founded in 1981 by Robert Redford, Sundance Institute is a nonprofit organization that provides and preserves the space for artists in film, theatre, and new media to create and thrive. The Institute's signature Labs, granting, and mentorship programs, dedicated to developing new work, take place throughout the year in the U.S. and internationally. The Sundance Film Festival and other public programs connect audiences to artists in igniting new ideas, discovering original voices, and building a community dedicated to independent storytelling. Sundance Institute has supported such projects as Sorry to Bother You, Eighth Grade, Won't You Be My Neighbor?, Hereditary, RBG, Call Me By Your Name, Get Out, The Big Sick, Top of the Lake, Winter's Bone, Dear White People, Brooklyn, Little Miss Sunshine, 20 Feet From Stardom, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Fruitvale Station, I’m Poppy, America to Me, Leimert Park, Spring Awakening, A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder and Fun Home. Join Sundance Institute on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
The Chief Technology Officer will be an experienced technology professional and a key member of the Senior Leadership team, working closely under the direction of the Managing Director and managing a team of 10+ employees.
Our CTO will be responsible for Sundance Institute’s Technology vision, roadmap and day-to-day operations, in strategic partnership with our Executive Leadership team. They will align technology with Sundance Institute’s mission and vision to meet customer and staff needs. This includes the development of new technical solutions (i.e. Digital Festival and Digital Labs) as well as the support and maintenance of existing technology systems.
The ideal candidate requires a unique blend of technical skill, planning and organization, communication and strategic vision with responsiveness and decision making. This individual will have the unique vertical reach to be not only current in their technology expertise and therefore credible with technologists, but also possess the intellect and gravitas to operate at the executive level. It is crucial that this person understands the business consequences of key technology decisions and can communicate effectively at all levels within a virtual environment.
- Responsible for Sundance Institute’s technology vision and multi-year roadmap
- Partner with Executive Leadership to align technology with the Institute’s mission and vision
- Partner with each department for cross-functional team ownership & accountability for technology project execution
- Lead Technology team, including organizational structure design. Build a highly effective Technology team, providing training, direction, feedback, mentorship and support to ensure all team members understand responsibilities and are effective in their roles
- Implement transparent technology processes utilizing Agile and other modern product management principles that promotes partnership and accountability with departments
- Create and build a flexible technology architecture to support Mobile, OTT, and web users, including integration with third-party systems
- Lead the technology effort for the annual Sundance Film Festival, including both digital and in-person delivery
- Research State-of-the-art technology solutions in the digital event space, as they may be applicable to the Institute
- Create a Data warehouse strategy to provide the organization the metrics it needs to run and grow the Institute's mission and vision
- Analyze complex business needs presented by staff and customers and recommend technical solutions
- Interact and engage with the Board Technology Committee
- Promote the organization as a thought leader in the industry through relationships with peers, industry analysts, alliance partners, and other entities
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technology standards, industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices
- Create and manage IT budget and costs
- Build and maintain relationships with external IT vendors and service providers
- Maintain and upgrade the response-time performance of technology systems to meet demand while minimizing operating costs
- Maintain existing technology applications by creating, maintaining, and enforcing standards/procedures for implementing technical solutions
- Ready the organization for IT security threats and audits by directing the security of network, systems, and enterprise information
- Other duties, as assigned
You have the following direct or transferable skill-sets:
- 10 years experience managing Technology
- Bachelor degree in computer science or related field or and additional 4 years related experience
- Excellent interpersonal relationship skills, develops constructive and effective working relationships at all levels throughout the organization
- Experience leading remote teams across multiple time zones
- Experience in current technologies and products, including cloud and SaaS
- Experience leading projects with integrations and APIs between systems, including 3rd parties
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Mature business (not just technical) leader who is visible, self-aware and energetic with the proven ability to inspire, challenge, and motivate others to achieve common goals
- A player-coach with an ability to implement and achieve adherence to process
- Entrepreneurial; high drive & work ethic, one who welcomes challenges and executes against plan
- A change agent, willing to make tough decisions while respecting the dignity of each person affected
- Strong communication skills, ability to command a room (and an audience)
- Ability to listen, consider, and assimilate input from a wide range of constituents; solid influencing skills; capable of building consensus using the voice of our customers; a thought leader
- Thinks collaboratively and motivates people at all levels of an organization across functional teams
- Ability to install a sense of shared vision
- Ability and willingness to roll up your sleeves, a doer and a thinker
- Takes a proactive approach to anticipating and preventing problems. When problems occur, defines those problems, investigates obstacles, gathers relevant information, generates and analyzes alternate solutions and arrives at a workable solution.