As our Director of Machine Learning, your work will directly impact all areas of the business by leading teams to implement machine learning & big data solutions. You will work closely with multiple machine learning teams & partnering engineering teams in prioritizing predictive features & experiments as well as designing / implementing the backend tooling around the model. This is a people management opportunity where machine learning engineers will rely on you for mentorship and growth. You will be responsible for managing the performance and career development of your team while setting the overall strategy within your function.
** This position can be remote anywhere in the U.S. or located in our SF HQ **
What You Get To Do Every Day
- Lead and inspire a growing team of 10-20 machine learning engineers to design models and services of the highest quality that meet business objects
- Participate in research and experimentation of machine learning and big data solutions
- Review pull requests and model design to provide constructive feedback
- Hire, Coach, provide technical guidance to, and mentor team members
- Clearly communicate with product management and the larger business about our technical solves in simple, easy to understand language
- Influence business solutions using machine learning knowledge
- Partner with senior leadership to define the machine learning roadmap
What You Bring To The Role
- 8+ years experience in a data role
- 4+ years of experience managing a development, data engineering or data science teams
- Strong ability to build a data solution to solve business problems and move key metrics
- Strong people manager and ability to harmonize and grow teams
- Experience partnering cross-functionally with product management and engineering to align on objectives and risks
- Strong technical knowledge of building and deploying ML solutions including tools such as python, Sklearn, Tensorflow/Keras, Pytorch
- Familiarity of with cloud and big data tools (Kafka, Big Query, Beam, Spark, Lambdas)
- Quantitative Degree
Want to learn more about our team at The RealReal? Check out our Technology & Product Blog!
GHR5443 #LI-PP10 #LI-Hybrid
The RealReal is the world’s largest online marketplace for authenticated, resale luxury goods, with more than 20 million members. With a rigorous authentication process overseen by experts, The RealReal provides a safe and reliable platform for consumers to buy and sell their luxury items. We have hundreds of in-house gemologists, horologists and brand authenticators who inspect thousands of items each day. As a sustainable company, we give new life to pieces by thousands of brands across numerous categories—including women's and men's fashion, fine jewelry and watches, art and home—in support of the circular economy. We make selling effortless with free virtual appointments, in-home pickup, drop-off and direct shipping. We do all of the work for consignors, including authenticating, using AI and machine learning to determine optimal pricing, photographing and listing their items, as well as handling shipping and customer service. At our 13 retail locations, including our eight shoppable stores, customers can sell, meet with our experts and receive free valuations.
The RealReal is committed to providing an equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or Veteran status. We will consider qualified applicants for a position regardless of arrest or conviction records.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.