Founded in 2008, Airbnb is a global travel community that offers magical end-to-end trips, including where you stay, what you do and the people you meet. Airbnb uniquely leverages technology to economically empower millions of people around the world to unlock and monetize their spaces, passions and talents to become hospitality entrepreneurs.
Airbnb.org at Airbnb:
Our community of hosts believes that everyone should have a safe place to call home. Inspired by their actions, we established Airbnb.org, a 501(c)(3) separate and independent nonprofit organization, which has helped provide safe housing for over 50,000 people to date in response to hundreds of emergency events around the world including hurricanes, wildfires, refugee crises, and a global pandemic. The Airbnb.org team within Airbnb works in support of the Airbnb.org non-profit. We believe everyone has something to share and build tools that enable impactful individual generosity at scale.
The Airbnb.org product team has a wide scope of ownership, including the Airbnb booking flow, hosting tools, relief worker travel management, donation tooling, and home-grown emergency response infrastructure.
We’re looking for an experienced, fullstack engineer, passionate about social impact, who can help us build the vision of a nimble, flexible, and global emergency response program. As a senior technical individual contributor, you will tackle some of our broadest technical challenges. This role requires deep technical knowledge, hands-on software development, technical leadership, and seamless collaboration with all functions.
We are a small team working in an evolving space, so our engineers must be comfortable in a fluid work environment where responsibilities may change rapidly in response to sudden shifts in world events or government policy.
Your day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with cross functional partners on all aspects of product development
- Envision and develop features to help build a global supply of free housing and donoration support.
- Work with the engineering team to plan longer term projects into sensible MVP milestones.
- Mentoring team members to uplevel technical and architectural skills.
- Identify and advocate for areas of improvement through data insights and research.
- Recent projects on the Airbnb.org team:
- Launched Frontline Stays, a new program to connect COVID-19 responders around the world with emergency housing near where they were deployed.
- Launched a new screening framework to ascertain the need of guests seeking free housing.
- Enabled Airbnb users to give a one time donation to our non-profit partners after booking a vacation or work reservation
- 6+ years industry experience
- Leading role in the design, implementation, and deployment of one or more long term initiatives through collaboration with cross functional partners.
- Experience as a full-stack developer, ideally React/Typescript and Java/Kotlin
- Solid understanding of engineering best practices, continuous integration, and incremental delivery.
- Expertise designing APIs and building scalable RESTful services
- Comfortable advocating for product improvements by leveraging data insights & user research
- Demonstrable interest in the social impact field.
Nice to Haves
- Experience working on a donations platform, grassroots campaign tooling, or online consumer products that require offline interaction
- Demonstrated knowledge of A/B testing fundamentals
- Experience working on initiatives that address fundamental needs (ex - security of housing, food, job, psychological safety, and human rights etc)
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...