Lim Kok Thay

Deputy Chairman & Chief Executive at Genting Group

About

Tan Sri Lim Kok Thay (Malaysian, aged 69, male), appointed on 17 October 1988, was redesignated as the Deputy Chairman and Chief Executive of the Company on 27 August 2020. Prior to his redesignation, he was the Chairman and Chief Executive of the Company. He is the Chairman and Chief Executive of Genting Berhad; and the Executive Chairman of Genting Singapore Limited and Genting UK Plc. He was the Chief Executive and Director of Genting Plantations Berhad (“GENP”) until he relinquished his position of Chief Executive and assumed the position of Deputy Chairman and Executive Director of GENP on 1 January 2019. He has served in various positions within the Group since 1976. He is a Founding Member and a Permanent Trustee of The Community Chest, Malaysia. In addition, he sits on the Boards of other Malaysian and foreign companies as well as the Boards of Trustees of several charitable organisations in Malaysia.


Tan Sri Lim holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering from the University of London. He attended the Programme for Management Development of Harvard Business School, Harvard University in 1979. He is an Honorary Professor of Xiamen University, China.


Tan Sri Lim is the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Genting Hong Kong Limited (“GENHK”), a company listed on the Main Board of The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited. He is also a Director of Travellers International Hotel Group, Inc., which is an associate of GENHK and was listed on the Main Board of The Philippine Stock Exchange, Inc., until its voluntary delisting in October 2019. He has an interest in the securities of GENHK. The GENHK group is principally engaged in the business of cruise and cruise-related operations, shipyard operations and leisure, entertainment and hospitality activities.


Tan Sri Lim is a beneficiary of a discretionary trust which ultimately owns Golden Hope Unit Trust (“GHUT”), of which Golden Hope Limited (“GHL”) is the trustee. GHL as the trustee of GHUT, indirectly owns 51% of the common stock in Empire Resorts, Inc., (“Empire Resorts”), a company with various subsidiaries engaged in the hospitality and gaming industries. GHL as the trustee of GHUT, also indirectly owns 100% of the Series F Convertible Preferred Stock and 51% of the Series H Convertible Preferred Stock in Empire Resorts. The Company indirectly owns the remaining 49% of the common stock in Empire Resorts. The Company also indirectly owns 100% of the Series G Convertible Preferred Stock and the remaining 49% of the Series H Convertible Preferred Stock in Empire Resorts. All the Convertible Preferred Stocks carry voting rights on an as-converted basis.


In the context of the above businesses of GENHK group and Empire Resorts group, Tan Sri Lim is therefore considered as having interests in business apart from the Group’s business, which may compete indirectly with the Group’s business.


For his leadership excellence and significant contributions to the leisure and travel industry, he was named the “Travel Entrepreneur of the Year 2009” by Travel Trade Gazette (TTG) Asia, “The Most Influential Person in Asian Gaming 2009” by Inside Asian Gaming, “Asian Leader for Global Leisure and Entertainment Tourism 2011” by Seagull Philippines Inc., and “Lifetime Achievement Award for Corporate Philanthropy 2013” by World Chinese Economic Forum.

Timeline

  • Deputy Chairman & Chief Executive

    Current role

View in org chart

The Org
helps you hire
great candidates
It takes less than ten minutes to set up your company page.
It’s free to use - try it out today.