Nextdoor’s mission is to use the power of technology to build stronger and safer neighborhoods.
Nextdoor is the neighborhood hub for you, your neighbors, and the broader local community. Nextdoor’s purpose is to cultivate a kinder world where everyone has a neighborhood they can rely on.
Real-world connections are a universal human need and neighborhoods are one of the most important contexts in which we form them. This is a guiding principle for Nextdoor. Today, neighbors rely on Nextdoor in neighborhoods around the world in the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Denmark, Australia and Canada, with many more to come.
Meet your Future Neighbors
The Data Science team at Nextdoor is part of the Data org, which also includes Business Intelligence and Data Engineering. At a high level, the Data org is responsible for the building and maintenance of data infrastructure as well as the use of that infrastructure for internal reporting, analysis, and modeling. Data Science at Nextdoor is responsible for design and oversight of product experiments, analysis and modeling to drive company and product strategy, and, where applicable, the deployment of online and offline models to a production environment. We use a semi-embedded team structure, in which a group of data team members works on a specific product or pillar, interfacing directly with product and engineering stakeholders. The Data Science group is made up of people from a diverse set of backgrounds and perspectives, trained in fields as wide-ranging as psychology, geology, physics, and statistics. Data Scientists at Nextdoor serve as the mathematical decision scientists for their product group and play an active and collaborative role in improving the product.
The Impact You’ll Make
On the Member Experience pillar, you’ll have the opportunity to work across a wide range of problem areas within the Feed Experience. Building trust and keeping members safe are at the core of Nextdoor. The responsibility of this role includes developing core metrics and building measurements to track business performance, identifying data and analyses needs with business partners, performing deep analyses to understand user behavior, designing experiments, and building models to optimize the product directly. You’ll act as a data thought partner with stakeholders to drive new data initiatives, report automation, and establish best practices. The work is essential to the growth and success of the company and involves frequent opportunities to impact decisions and showcase progress to teammates, stakeholders, and company leadership.
- 6+ years of relevant professional experience in a quantitative role
- Experience in at least one programming language (e.g. R, Python)
- Advanced knowledge of SQL and experience in applying it in data analyses
- Practical understanding of statistical concepts, machine learning techniques, and experience in applying them to real world problems
- Knowledge of at least one big data technology such as Hive, Presto, or Spark
- Excellent written and oral communication, including ability to effectively communicate complexity to a diverse group of stakeholders
- Be able to independently create project plans, take projects to completion, and build collaboration with business partners and internal data science team
- Curiosity about how things work, from both a business and technical perspective
- A collaborative spirit, a love for the work, and a commitment to community
- Prior work experience in a consumer product technology company
- Experience working with large of amount of structured/unstructured data in a fast paced environment
- Experience with Looker, Tableau, or other business intelligence platforms
At Nextdoor, we empower our employees to build stronger local communities. To create a platform where all feel welcome, we want our workforce to reflect the diversity of the customers we seek to serve. We encourage everyone interested in our purpose to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, or any other trait that unfairly targets a group of people. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.