Purple exists to meaningfully improve lives through true innovation that evolves comfort from end to end. Our colorful company culture, award-winning marketing, unique (and extremely comfortable) technology, and incredible team make for a workplace you’ll be proud to be a part of. Purple is recognized as one of the fastest-growing and most disruptive companies in the comfort industry. We’re looking for amazing, motivated people who will help us improve lives and invent a better way for Purple. Come along for the ride!
We are the Purple Innovations team. We are a fast-growing group of technical experts, product innovators, and creative problem solvers. Our mission is simple; drive measurable business value by iterating designs, testing hypothesis, and delivering complete product definition to deliver compelling and truly innovative products that create Purple customers for life. We are looking for an experienced and proven consumer product design/development engineer who is organized in thought and process, but not afraid of chaos or getting their hands dirty. In this role, you will have three primary responsibilities; own the mechanical design of new amazing products for Purple, collaborate with Product Developers and Industrial Designers to create and test innovative solutions, research the effects of changes in materials and geometry to optimize designs for performance, function, aesthetics, and cost. You must thrive on solving questions through analysis rather than just building prototype after prototype.
- Owns the 3D modeling and functional mechanical design for new innovative products.
- Prioritize, develop and implement analysis strategies to test hypothesis and optimize the product designs.
- Identify critical experimental testing requirements to validate computer models.
- Support industrial design, research teams, and product development with mechanical design direction, 3D model development, and analysis.
- Present results to design teams and senior leadership to display findings and help guide positive decision making objectives.
- Creates 2D images and drawings to assist technical writers with tech pack content and vendor communication.
- Identify equipment, software, and systems that will increase the capabilities of product development at Purple.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, or related field, Master’s Preferred
- 5+ years of demonstrated success in product development and/or product design for consumer products.
- Expert level Solidworks 3D and 2D CAD skills required.
- Strong background in FEA, simulation, & analysis of data driven decision making.
- Knowledge of GD&T and how to apply.
- An understanding of mold flow analysis is a plus.
- Experience designing products which might have a variety of materials and manufacturing processes.
- A motivated individual who can prioritize well, communicate in a compelling manner, drive organizational excellence, and positively influence teams.
- A creative problem solver who isn’t afraid to fail.
- Expert level understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of different analysis methods and the right balance between qualitative and quantitative data to make low risk and fast paced decisions.
- Experience designing and developing consumer products.
- Excellent oral and visual communication as well as analytical and creative thinking skills that can inspire and motivate team members and leadership alike to focus on recommended product opportunities.
- The candidate must demonstrate strong leadership, personal initiative, and accountability while embracing a collaborative approach.
- Excellent written and verbal presentation and communication skills.
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Windows and Office Suite applications.
- Experience working with project management in an Agile Scrum based product development process helpful.
- Passion for making great products through research and development and for sharing their knowledge and findings with others.
BENEFITS AND PERKS
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- 401(k) Match
- Generous PTO
- Market Money
- Earn a Mattress
- Purple Swag
- Amazing Purple Products
WHY WORK AT PURPLE?
- Make your mark: We value innovative thinking. At Purple, you will be empowered to bring your ideas to life as we work together to improve people’s lives through comfort.
- Gain unique experience: Be a part of one of the fastest growing companies in Utah! The contributions you make will matter at Purple as the company continues to grow with you.
- Awesome culture: Join the tight-knit team at Purple and you can enjoy working alongside industry experts, making close friends, and annual employee appreciation events.
Purple provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.