Founded in 2008, Airbnb is a global travel community that offers magical end-to-end trips, including where you stay, what you do and the people you meet. Airbnb uniquely leverages technology to economically empower millions of people around the world to unlock and monetize their spaces, passions and talents to become hospitality entrepreneurs.
We are looking for brilliant minds to join Airbnb. In particular, those who have a passion for the sharing economy and the drive and dedication needed to continue delighting our users and to enable them to share unique and meaningful experiences around the world.
In this role as a member of the Airbnb legal team you will be responsible for supporting and providing advice and guidance to the product, operations, and engineering teams on Airbnb’s business. You must have excellent judgment in balancing legal risks with business strategy and a proven ability to learn new areas of law and function independently in a demanding fast-paced environment. We’re looking for a highly adaptable and collaborative person who can handle ambiguity and rapidly shifting priorities with flexibility, patience, and poise. Previous product counsel experience is a plus. Your role will require a high degree of self-sufficiency, organizational skills, proactivity and an ability to enjoy a quick-paced and busy environment. You will operate as part of a supportive, fun and friendly team.
- Advise operations, product, design, and engineering teams throughout the product development lifecycle on a broad range of compliance issues related to cutting edge and first impression legal issues.
- Provide pragmatic day to day and strategic advice to minimize legal risks while advancing business interests and ensuring an excellent customer experience.
- Remain up-to-date on relevant industry, consumer protection, and high-tech laws affecting Airbnb’s business.
- Draft and negotiate a wide range of commercial transactions, including partnership, licensing, and service agreements.
- Manage outside counsel on complex research issues with an eye toward driving business goals while effectively managing time and cost.
- Coordinate with Airbnb’s IP & Marketing team to ensure that communications and advertising initiatives comply with relevant legal and regulatory standards.
- Collaborate effectively with counterparts supporting other business units and international counsel to ensure consistency across the product team and provide globally-aligned legal advice.
- Stay up-to-date and keep the team advised on laws and regulations dealing with privacy, online/mobile advertising, and consumer protection in order to better support product counseling and commercial transactions.
- Work closely with US and global product legal counterparts to understand the product, engineering, design, and operational implications across our contracts, commitments, and platform.
- Draft, negotiate, and counsel on commercial deals and contract needs for our products, ensuring escalations and approvals happen appropriately, and working with global team members.
- JD and 6-9 years of relevant experience in law firms, governmental agencies, and/or in-house legal departments. In-house experience at a multinational, consumer-facing technology company in a product counseling capacity is strongly preferred.
- Commercial litigation experience preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience applying regulations and industry guidelines (e.g. consumer protection law, CDA 230, DMCA, E-Commerce Directive, GDPR, CAN-SPAM, employee misclassification, and other regulations related to internet platforms) preferred.
- Strong, proven ability to work cross functionally with business partners. A team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
- General experience with working in an international and multicultural working environment with geographically dispersed team members.
- A strong working knowledge of the Airbnb platform, evolving product lines, and competitive landscape.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and pressurized environment and to act decisively.
- A self-starter who is resourceful and curious.
- A passion for Airbnb with a strong knowledge and keen interest in travel.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Barred in a US state, preferably CA, or eligible to register as California Registered In-House Counsel.