Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy through increasingly affordable electric vehicles in addition to renewable energy generation and storage.
The Cell Manufacturing Engineering team at Tesla is looking for a highly motivated Mechanical Design Engineer to contribute to the design, install and ramp of battery cell manufacturing equipment. Battery cells are one of the most complex and challenging components designed and manufactured at Tesla. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to Tesla’s world-class manufacturing facilities. Tesla is a demanding and fast-paced environment where you will work on designing and developing a new generation of leading edge, high speed, ultra-high scale automated manufacturing equipment. In addition to developing automated manufacturing equipment, the Mechanical Design Engineer works with cross-functional teams to test, validate, and roll-out equipment to production. The ideal candidate takes pride in his/her hands-on work, analytical ability, organizational skills, and attention to detail. S/he appreciates an environment where superior work is encouraged, noticed, and rewarded and where individuals carry tremendous responsibility. S/he looks forward to learning an incredible amount on the job.
- Preparation of overall machine design concepts for custom designed special purpose equipment and systems.
- Detailed machine design including preparation of machine layouts, detail drawings, assembly drawings.
- Conduct design reviews.
- Validate equipment designs meet specifications, and redesign systems to meet specs where necessary
- Sourcing & specification of mechanical commercial components pertaining to designs.
- Preparation of Mechanical Bill’s of Material and systems documentation.
- Consultation with contract manufacturers for optimization of designs.
- Assist with Drawing file system administration, project documentation.
- Liaison between engineering and manufacturing departments.
- Mechanical Engineering Degree or Equivalent.
- 5 – 10 years of design experience in a custom machine-building environment.
- Excellence of exceptional ability.
- Good mechanical aptitude.
- Extensive experience with Solidworks™ in a machine design capacity.
- Familiarity with PDM document management system.
- Familiarity with modern machine controls including Programmable Controllers
- Understanding of pneumatics and pneumatic controls.
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally.
- Product design
- Design of equipment to be produced at high volumes
- PCB integrated design
- Structural design
- Hands on tool install and equipment commissioning
- Hands on part fabrication (mill, lathe, laser cutter, etc.)
- Equipment validation testing