Graphic designers are the people behind branding designs, websites and online graphics. They create high-conversion, engaging designs and balance different aspects of design, such as typography and color theory. They’re one of 2022’s most in-demand design and creative jobs, in a sector where the expanding job market won’t be slowing down any time soon.
According to Indeed, the average salary for a graphic designer in the U.S. is $51,361, though that number increases depending on which major metropolitan area you live in. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that graphic design as a field will grow 3% between 2020 and 2030.
But how do you go about hiring graphic designers, or getting a new job in graphic design? Prior experience is a must of course, but preparing for an interview where a hiring manager will ask questions about your technical prowess (which programs and software do you use and work with?) and your creative process (show us your portfolio and tell us about a piece you’re proud of) alike.
Whether you’re a graphic designer looking for a new role or a hiring manager looking for new questions to ask in interviews, use these questions we’ve compiled as a guide.
- Describe your creative process from receiving a brief to the final delivery - what are the major steps?
- How and where in your process do you work with feedback?
- What programs are you most fluent in?
- What design challenges have you faced in previous experiences and what learnings from that can you bring with you to this role?
- How do you approach a task with a style outside your comfort zone?
- Do you have any additional experience with UI, UX, Illustration, Print or Motion Graphics?
- Walk me through your portfolio. Which pieces are you most proud of, and why?
- What are your thoughts on design trends?
- Do you prefer to work in a team or alone?
- What would your dream process look like?
- What’s an example of a project where you disagreed with the client’s feedback and how did you handle it?
- Where do you feel the most creative?
- How do you handle creative blocks?
- Where do you find inspiration?
- Tell me about a project you’re proud of. Why and what was your role?
- How do you work cross-functionally, with other colleagues, for example, Developers, Product Designers or Product Marketers?
- How do you handle negative feedback?
- What is your dream project?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- What did you do most recently to improve your design skills?
- Do you prefer being involved in the conceptual phase as well, or only production?
- What do you think makes a good designer?
- Tell me about how you have handled tight deadlines?
- What qualities and skills should a great graphic designer have?